Needless to say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
I love my eggs, from baked, scrambled, poached, to an amazing egg Benedict. However, our days are so busy we hardly ever have anytime to cook, sit down and enjoy our breakfast. Therefore, a speedy breakfast is essential to kick off our mornings.
Homemade granola has become our staple breakfast item. For some reason, I find the crunchiness and heartiness of granola comforting. Compared to most store-bought stuff, homemade granola contains much less (to zero) processed sugar, unhealthy fats/oils and random unrecognizable ingredients.Making your own granola at home is easier than you think! It gives you the flexibility to adapt and change things up, making breakfast more fun!
I came about this recipe idea after getting back to our cold Canadian winter from a nice warm (actually HOT) vacation in South America. Warm holiday flavors like cinnamon, cardamom and apple are exactly what I need to wake my senses up in the morning! Of course, coffee is very, very, very important here.
Apple Spiced Granola With Almond and Pepita
Prep time: 15 mins
Baking time: 45 mins
Makes: 6 cups
- 4 cups large flake rolled oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped/sliced almonds
- 1 cup pepitas
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 pods cardamom
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried apples
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- In a large bowl, toss together the oats, almonds, pepitas, cinnamon, cardamom.
- Drizzle vanilla extract and olive oil into the oat mixture and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly on 2 large baking sheets and bake until the granola is golden brown (about 45 minutes). Stir and rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add in the dried apples (the remaining heat will crisp up the dried apples in the pan). Let the granola cool completely on the pan.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Bon appetit!