December is full of joy and celebration. December is when you are finally allowed to open one window of the advent calendar each morning (of course, chocolate advent calendar for me).
December is nostalgic. December is all about the opportunities for memory making. Instead of staying in town to host lavish celebrations, and drinking my nights away with friends, this December I will be on the road a lot (to be exact, 22 days out of 31 days in December). TRAVELLING!
We just got back from the enchanting Magic Kingdom of Disney Word and by the time you have read this post, we should be on the land of Caipirinhas, Brazilian barbeque and acai berry!!
(n.) orig. German
an ache for distant places; the craving for travel
It is not easy to eat healthy on the road, especially during long haul flights. To avoid unpalatable airline food, I always pack a stockpile of healthy snacks (dried fruits, nuts, veggies sticks, dark chocolate and super-food energy bars) in my purse or carry-on bag.
These Power-Up Energy Balls are packed with incredible super foods – almonds, cashew, chia seeds, flaxseed, coconut oil, cacao powder, cherries and medjool dates. They are rich in fiber, protein and healthy fats, which are perfect to control my hunger. They make an amazing substitute for those airline cookies/pretzels.
As a bonus, the added raw cacao powder makes these balls taste like chocolate truffles in your mouth. Maybe I’m exaggerating somewhat here, but they are enough to satisfy my chocolate cravings most of the time… ( -___________- )
Don’t judge, I’m a chocolate addict.
Power-Up Energy Balls
Prep time: 15 mins
Makes: 20 decent size balls
- 1 cup medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 cup raw almonds (or any other nuts)
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts (or any other nuts)
- ¼ cup dried cherries (or any other dried fruit)
- 2 scopes protein powder (I used whey here because that’s what I have at home, can be substituted to any protein powder)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Couple tablespoon cold water
- Pulse almonds, cashew (or your choice of nut mix), flaxseed, and chia seeds in a food processor until crumbly. Almost a nut flour consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until a ball forms. Add cold water one tablespoon at a time.
- Get your hands dirty and roll the mixture into balls.
- Place in an airtight container and store in refrigerator.